[Interest] Qt 5.15 LTS vs Qt 6.2 LTS

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu Sep 30 16:22:35 CEST 2021

> On 30 Sep 2021, at 15:59, Roland Hughes via Interest <interest at qt-project.org> wrote:
> On 9/30/21 5:00 AM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 29 September 2021 07:40:11 PDT Rui Oliveira wrote:
>>
>>> "Both *Windows 7 or 8.x*
>>>  version support will not be available for Qt 6"
>>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962
>>

>> "Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020."
>>

>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/faq/windows#windows-8.1
>>
>> "Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and
>> will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023."
>>
> This has never been a valid argument. Vendors don't get to choose when something dies. The customers do.

If you want, or are forced, to run an old OS, then you very likely have similar constraints for most of your other software as well. That software might still get patched up as a special service, just as Windows is; but it’s certainly not ported over to a new runtime environment like a major new .NET or Qt version.

That is, in my experience, a reasonable default assumption. Nobody expects to run brand new HMIs or latest versions of productivity software on those OS/2 or Windows XP terminals.

But, if you bring enough $$$ to The Qt Company, then I’m sure we can discuss a special Qt 6 version for you that runs on Windows 7. It’s not going to be cheap, but that’s also a choice a customer has to make.

Cheers,
Volker