[Interest] [Development] Qt 6.5 Is Irrelevant for More than 95% of Mac Desktops

coroberti coroberti at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 07:25:14 CET 2022

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 3:29 AM Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 17 December 2022 05:40:48 -03 Tuukka Turunen via Interest wrote:
> > at least between versions 10.15 and 11 there does not seem to be a
> > major drop in what HW is supported.
>
> There is a drop, but we're talking about  CPUs launched in 2013 and older.
> Specifically, 11.0 drops support for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Macbooks and
> Mac Minis. Whether you count that as "major" or not, I'll leave it up to you.
>
> What matters to me is that those were the last AVX-incapable CPUs, which allow
> us to assume that AVX2 is present.

Dear Thiago and Tuukka,
It seems that you are working under an assumption that if the HW allows it,
users will upgrade their Mac OS.

This is not how it works in reality, sorry.

Many, if not most, Mac users are upgrading only once.
They upgrade, see how their content-editing, multimedia, etc. software
is ruined by their first upgrade;
next, they work with software vendors to restore their applications
back to some working state, get the lesson and ... do not touch it forever.

Try to listen to the people that work with the real, live customers
like Nuno and me.

Please, add one more old Mac OS release to the supported list to be
more realistic, so it will be not a thin three releases but at least four.

Please, consider that.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. Oh, these customers are not security aware? Agree, this is bad.

Sorry, but please get it that these people, not computer fricks and sometimes
technically challenged, need to run smoothly with their daily jobs
rather than work hard on
bringing their apps to the working stage after each upgrade.