[Interest] [Development] Qt 6.5 Is Irrelevant for More than 95% of Mac Desktops

Nuno Santos nuno.santos at imaginando.pt
Sun Dec 18 10:47:57 CET 2022

Hi,

Every time a new Mac OS version comes out this is what happens:

https://cdm.link/2022/11/macos-13-ventura-compatibility-plugins/

https://cdm.link/2020/11/big-sur-and-the-new-macs-look-promising-but-youll-want-to-wait/

https://cdm.link/2019/10/wait-on-catalina/

https://cdm.link/2020/05/how-to-update-your-mac-to-mojave-not-catalina/

Many people are still running their Intel macs. I speak for myself. I had bought a really powerful quad core Intel mac laptop one year before m1 is out. Is terrible but what am I going to do? Throw it out of the window if it is still able to do the job?

Musicians are very conservative in the software they use because they have a music setup that relies on a certain plugin and are not likely to give away that feature just because Apple upgraded their software. So they keep it just as it is. The ones who venture in instant updates are the ones who report problems to the plugin makers which can sometime take months to fix the problems. In my case, if the problem relies on a Qt bug or incapability, I have my hands tied.

My experience is that sometimes people take up to two years to upgrade to a more recent operating system.

I understand all the technical reasons that have been thrown on the table from the incredible players of Qt team and their developers during this discussion.

However, for me as a developer it is also a challenge to upgrade to the new Qt 6.

I have finally decided to make the move on a new product development and knowing up hand that it will only run on Big Sur onwards because Catalina support will be over is also ungrateful.

Specially when during this development phase I find some Qml conversion issues that are Qt bugs which should only be address in future versions.

We understand your concerns and reasons, we are just asking more time for that move to be done, so that all other general bugs and improvements are still safe to run on systems like Catalina.

Just sharing my concern and personal experience.

Best regards,

--
Nuno Santos