[Interest] [Development] Qt 6.5 Is Irrelevant for More than 95% of Mac Desktops

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Dec 18 14:18:05 CET 2022

On Sunday, 18 December 2022 06:47:57 -03 Nuno Santos wrote:
> Many people are still running their Intel macs. I speak for myself. I had
> bought a really powerful quad core Intel mac laptop one year before m1 is
> out. Is terrible but what am I going to do? Throw it out of the window if
> it is still able to do the job?

Your computer is still supported.

The ones that have fallen out of support with the 11.0 requirement are those
older than 2014.

Please also note the requirement of a system to *develop* with Qt may be even
higher than those to *deploy* Qt on, usually because the minimum version of
Xcode required may not install on an older OS. Right now, they appear to be
the same.

> The ones who venture in instant updates are the ones who report problems to
> the plugin makers which can sometime take months to fix the problems.
[...]
> My experience is that sometimes people take up to two years to upgrade to a
> more recent operating system.

Months is fine. Even a year or two.

We're talking about someone making no major updates for 3 years.

> We understand your concerns and reasons, we are just asking more time for
> that move to be done, so that all other general bugs and improvements are
> still safe to run on systems like Catalina.

How long more? Two and a half more years?

Anyway, Catalina is by definition not safe to run any more.