[Interest] [Development] Qt 6.5 Is Irrelevant for More than 95% of Mac Desktops
coroberti at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 07:39:49 CET 2022
On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 3:09 PM Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> That's bad. But we all know who's to blame here, in both arguments: Apple.
> > Try to listen to the people that work with the real, live customers
> > like Nuno and me.
> We have. The decision is that we need to make a cut and move on, eventually.
> There's only so much resource available for handling different generations. We
> decided to adopt Apple's own end-of-life as ours.
> > Please, add one more old Mac OS release to the supported list to be
> > more realistic, so it will be not a thin three releases but at least four.
> At this point, since my AVX2 changes have been postponed to 6.6, I don't mind
> restoring 10.15 support in 6.5, as it doesn't impact me and the improvements I
> plan to add. So I won't object.
> But I can't speak for Qt Company's resource commitment, with the need to *add*
> 13.x to their test base. I think we all agree that MUST be tested. Given a
> finite resource allocation, something will need to give and they will have to
> make that choice.
> Moreover, 6.5 is one of their LTS. They have to make a choice whether they
> want to keep 10.15 in support for the lifetime of that LTS. That would mean
> they'd *end* support 2.5 years after Apple last provided a security update for
> the OS. Their own networking requirements may imply they *can't* have that OS
> in the CI because of its lack of security fixes. I don't know what it takes for
> them to allow that; I can only tell you that if Intel were hosting such
> systems, those would need to be in a special lab with no direct Internet
> access, which means they couldn't be part of a CI.
> Thiago Macieira - thiago.macieira (AT) intel.com
> Cloud Software Architect - Intel DCAI Cloud Engineering
Thank you, Thiago, for your understanding and the assistance proposed.
Thus, we need it to be approved by the Qt Company.
Tukka, can we get the people of the Qt Company sitting and at least discussing:
1. The general issue related to the level of Qt support for Mac platforms
considering four (4) versions to support instead of the current three (3).
2. The concrete case of Mac Support for Qt 6.5.
Even if you come back and say - sorry, we considered, but decided to
turn it down,
still the effort will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for considering the options.
More information about the Interest