[Interest] Configuring Qt's built-in freetype ?

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Fri Feb 11 22:40:49 CET 2022

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022, Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:

> Top is grayscale AA, bottom is subpixel.
> The lines look so much more definite and contrasted to me, for instance the
> 0:00.000 is a blurry mess without sub-pixel AA.

The 0:00.000 is much clearer in the top one, darker and a bit blurry
in the lower one. I admit the top one “Address” (dropdown, on the left)
is blurry, but the corresponding one on the bottom has colour bleeding
sidewards, which makes it intolerable for reading. Especially the menu
bar on the bottom screenshot looks red-brown instead of grey to me.

> You really prefer the top one on that screenshot ?

From someone similarily affected (preferring greyscale antialiasing)
I’m told that it’s not so much a matter of preference but of biological
difference.

I also read statements from people who think greyscale antialiasing
already being intolerably bad (and, I admit they have a point, but
mostly for bitmap fonts, where the pixels do sit perfect; I really
hate e.g. lowercase m legs being spaced badly without greyscale AA
in proportional fonts), so, all three kinds of “biological wirings”
exist.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/