[Interest] Is there a good alternative to the QML Controls in Qt6 for native desktop integration purposes?

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Feb 22 00:51:26 CET 2022

So I’ll throw my 2 cents worth of experience into the ring.

I’ve developed a desktop application using Qt Widgets since 2009 era. Last year we got funding to completely rewrite it from the ground up. We selected QML over widgets because we wanted that forced Model-View-Delegate and separation of the back end from the front end. QML sure looked promising from the demos. The early prototypes were nice. What we got for development is a hot mess. The QML debugger is a joke. GammaRay helps here and there trying to figure out what rectangles are where. The development time is horribly long. QML itself is just a black-magic soup where you never really know when things are getting initialized. We were hoping to have a flashy desktop application, all “modern” and everything. We are months behind schedule at this point. We spend hours messing with QML trying to get it to behave appropriately (sizing, visual style) where widgets would have just been “done”. We spent a large chunk of cash paying someone to get a TreeView working since Qt5 doesn’t supply one (Don’t get me started on that.. ).

Had I known back then what I know *now* I would never have selected QML over Widgets for Desktop development. In no way is it ready for anything past some trivial applications. Not even close. The idea is great. The vision is cool. Our development experience has not been a good one.

@Mark Gaiser one of our contractors implemented some code up in main.cpp where we press “F7” and the app reloads using the QML files from disk. This helps us cycle the theme updates and QML updates instead of having to quit and restart each time.

--

Michael Jackson | Owner, President

      BlueQuartz Software

[e] mike.jackson at bluequartz.net