[Interest] how to link my own DBus lib build to Qt 6.4?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Nov 19 17:56:07 CET 2022

On Friday, 18 November 2022 22:36:55 PST Dennis Luehring wrote:
> > Like I said, cmake install updates the rpath. The one you saw showing only
> > $ORIGIN was the installed path, which is the second one above and
> > therefore
> > does not find the glib-install path.
>
> maybe i get you wrong here - Glib works without LD_LIBRARY_PATH out of
> the box - my example
> does find my self build Glib
>
> but that does not work for my own DBus build - Qt CMake seems to ignore
> the given dbus pkg path completely
> i just want to understand why DBus is not handled equaly

I'm saying that your uninstalled Qt libraries have an RPATH set that does
point to your libglib but not to your libdbus. I don't know why the one for
glib is there and the other isn't, but it is the case.

We didn't see it in your objdump -p output because you did it for the
installed library, which has a trimmed RPATH.

> > Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> i will try that - but then a second question comes up - that will only
> work as long as there are no relevant header changes in my own build
> Glib and DBus compared to my systems Glib/Dbus, or?

Correct. But usually, all libraries obey the rule that a newer version is
backwards compatible with the older one. If you compile with version X, you
can run against any version Y >= X.