[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 133, Issue 12

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Oct 27 15:47:58 CEST 2022

Yo Christoph!

On 10/27/22 05:00, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> I can only speak for myself, but I and colleagues successfully used now
> Qt 6.x on Linux, Windows and macOS (both x86 and ARM) and at least for
> us the most glitches
> we did have with Qt 6 vanished with Qt 6.2 or 6.3.
>
> And so far my early tries with Qt 6.x in the KDE project look fine, too.
>
> And for the glitches we found, normally the people on the Qt side of the
> bug tracker were really helpful.
>
> I somehow feel sad to always read these mails here that Qt 6 is totally
> useless, ....
> Naturally everybody can have his/her/... own opinion, but it would be
> nice to not get it repeated here XXX times all over.
>
> Greetings
> Christoph
>
> -- Ignorance is bliss... https://cullmann.io | https://kate-editor.org

Good to hear from a shiny new voice. There are so few of them on this
list. One can only speculate it is due to the dramatic drop in
popularity of Qt. If you are using Qt 6.x with Kate, I guess we will all
have to take your word for how well Qt 6.x is working with Kate.

https://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/kate-on-windows-1.png

22.08.1 is the latest in the Windows store and according to the Web site
is the latest available. I was using it for a while on my last project.
Corporate machine had to install what was visible in the Windows store.
I always used to like Kate, especially back when it supported about 500
languages. Less love after the re-development. Still, that Windows store
package wasn't stable enough. Ended up installing Notepad++ for the note
taking Windows editor on that project.

Here's hoping you are correct the next time I'm locked into a corporate
desktop with restricted options!

As to "somehow feel sad" and "repeated here XXX times all over" I too
feel sad. Qt certainly doesn't have the stature or the vision it had
back when I started with OS/2. They were so much more focused than Zinc
(bought by Wind River Systems) and C-Scape (I think simply died) or the
half-dozen other cross platform libraries/frameworks clients had me
using. Like so many on this list I spent years getting good with the
product both on the desktop and in embedded devices. Then the Qt project
wasted untold quantities of time, treasure, and resources pursuing a
dead architecture (QML). You hear the complaints XXX times because so
many people get screwed over by decisions that seem random.

March 23 2021 thread on stability - yes I did participate - this was
after our friend Scott found the platform he needed to support chip
fabrication at INTEL dropped despite decision makers knowing INTEL had
systems needing it - I still feel bad for him.
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2021-March/036508.html

September 5 2022 thread on container size
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2022-September/038462.html

February 21 2022 thread looking for QML alternative - initial message
seems to have been deleted from or never made it to the archive, but is
copied on this one.
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2022-February/037987.html

Stroll through the archives and find so many.

As to Qt 6.x, it has been declared "done" and "good to go" so many times
and people chime in pointing out so much missing.

In particular the container size limitations appears to be a direct
result of time treasure and resources squandered on QML causing the
project to not notice the entire industry moving to both "Big Data" and
NoSQL. In the case of NoSQL, the industry is moving __back___ to it,
repackaging databases created in the 60s and 70s. Even if you are using
SQLite you are going to get hit by "Big Data"

https://blog.gene-test.com/big-data-with-sqlite/

That particular article is where the dude created a 150GB SQLite
database where some of the tables were around 26GB in size. Max size for
SQLite is now up to 140TB according to that link as well. Even at the
old 2TB limit it was more RAM than most machines had.

Yes Christoph, I too am saddened when I go here

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTWEBSITE-1075?jql=status%20in%20(Reported%2C%20%22Need%20More%20Info%22%2C%20Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)

when I select those status value and see a count north of 30K. When I
limit it to Open and ReOpened I see a count north of 8K

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTWEBSITE-1075?jql=status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)

Thanks for the feedback and welcome to the list.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com