[Interest] Yocto is application or device creation license???

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Dec 14 22:00:20 CET 2023

On Thursday, 14 December 2023 16:13:37 -03 Jérôme Godbout via Interest wrote:
> Can I use the Yocto Layers and Recipes in a build using BitBake (YP's build
> tool) to make a commercial application using the Application Development
> license?
>
> That’s my true question, is application development license allowed into
> that context or are we force to use the device creation license.

I think you or I are getting mixed on details.

Yocto Project, recipes, layers, and BitBake are just tools to accomplish the
build of your device. YP licences won't apply at the end. Only the cumulative
licence of all the software that you selected (by way of the layers) does and
the YP tools will create the BOM for you to analyse. This is where this
licence you're referring to comes into play.

So it doesn't matter how you built and deployed your Qt Commercial onto the
device, only that you did. Does that licence allow you to ship your device?
Does it require payment of per-unit royalties? Does it put extra requirements
on what you can or can't do? I can't answer that, since I don't know the
terms. You should get your legal department to make a decision. Qt Company's
opinion is an input, not a conclusion.