[Interest] Yocto is application or device creation license???

Jérôme Godbout jgodbout at dimonoff.com
Wed Dec 20 23:50:06 CET 2023

Hi,
If it may interest anybody, using Yocto is defacto embedded license required. So using Qt into your Yocto for a product make you enter into the royalty fee realm and an expensive one.

Another client that will use something else. It took the client 30 seconds to choose after the sale representative meeting. I cannot even think they gave such a price for over 50k unit per years…

It make 3 ridiculous pricing for embedded I get from Qt into the past years and a half for different clients. None when down that road, not because of the tech, but the embedded royalty are just plain out of this world for embedded devices. Maybe for a 20k$ car it can make sense, but when you make SPA equipment, hospital bed, power control box, it’s plain a no go for GUI. And we are not talking low volume client, 15k, 40k and the other was 75k-100k. Better, invest that money on bigger MCU/GPU, when the royalty is above the MCU price it’s plain insanity.

Sad, but I have not been able to use Qt in the past few years…

[signature_2639730570]<https://www.dimonoff.com/>
Jérôme Godbout, B.Eng.
Software / Firmware Team Lead
[Smart Phone avec un remplissage uni] (581) 777-0050
[Envelope avec un remplissage uni] jgodbout at dimonoff.com<mailto:jgodbout at dimonoff.com>
[World avec un remplissage uni] www.dimonoff.com<http://www.dimonoff.com>