[Interest] MSVC not-the-latest: are you using it? why?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 25 01:41:03 CET 2023

On Tuesday, 24 January 2023 08:45:25 PST Adam Light wrote:
> Outside of inertia, which is powerful, one consideration may be cost. While
> there is a free "Community" version of Visual Studio, it places pretty
> strict limitations on the kind of companies that can use it. A single user
> perpetual license is about $500 USD and, in my experience, not particularly
> easy to purchase for a small team. One can purchase a license for
> themselves through the Microsoft store, but as far as I could tell
> purchasing a small handful of licenses requires each person to do the
> purchase themselves (and deal with getting reimbursed) or you must go
> through a reseller, and we haven't been able to find a reseller
> willing/able to sell us perpetual copies (I'm not sure how hard our
> purchasing pers.

Ah, interesting. I'd completely forgotten Visual Studio is a paid product (who
had the bright idea of charging for the ability to develop software for a
given OS? Don't they want to enrich said OS with more software?). I only use
the Build Tools because I only build SW on Windows from the command line,
after pushing there from my Linux development machine.

I think the Build Tools are free, but as in my earlier reply to Scott, I have
no idea if you can use the toolchain of one version in an older IDE. I know
the newer VS bundles have the older toolchains; that's not what I am asking. I
am wondering if the VS 2019 IDE can drive builds with the VS 2022 Build Tools.

What I also didn't know is that if you've purchased the licence for a given
VS, you're not entitled to the upgrade to the next. I know this is how it used
to be with Microsoft Office back in the 90s and even the old Visual Studios, but
I thought this practice was long gone. You can upgrade Windows for free, after
all.