[Interest] Qt online installer: Linux ARM platform?

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 19:17:10 CEST 2023

Hi!

On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 at 14:52, Alexander Dyagilev <alervdvcw at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. In an ideal world, yes, I agree with you :) But, in this real world
> we have to deal with a lot of issues including Qt bugs. In case we do
> provide Qt binaries alongside with our app we provide our users the best
> possible experience.

As long as your Qt binaries have all the real support your app needs,
yes. But that's normally what the distro-provided binaries do, else
file a bug.

> Before we made a release, we test our app with the
> specific Qt version to make sure all is working fine. In case of an
> update of Qt binaries, things can go wrong. And we have such examples in
> our practice. So we prefer to provide prebuilt Qt binaries alongside
> with our app.

That depends on the distro. You mentioned the RPi, on which
RaspberryPi OS is the default. RPiOS builds upon Debian stable, so you
will not get any updates except CVE or very important bug fixes.

> 2. I'm not a very experienced Unix developer. My primary platform was
> always Windows. I'm not sure if I even understood you 100% correctly.
>
>    a) You mean we should to just compile our code using ARM compiler and
> let the system use the already installed Qt binaries ?

Build with the system's toolchain, using the system's Qt. As long as
your app is FLOSS and/or you only use the LGPL-licensed parts of Qt,
of course.

>    b) But what about debugging then... It seems it's not supported in
> any way.

Yes, it is. Install the debug packages for the required libraries.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/