[Interest] Qt Wayland: handle one or two displays like Weston does

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:02:16 CEST 2023

Hi!

Is there any example of QtWayland's compositor handling one or two monitors like Weston does?

To be more precise: my hardware, iMX8M-PLUS based, has an LVDS display and an HDMI output.

The LVDS display is always connected, and if weston is started it will set the shell to be as big as the LVDS display itself.

Now if an HDMI monitor gets attached Weston will expand the shell to the right with the new display's size, something like:

+-------------+------------------------+
|    LVDS     |                        |
|             |         HDMI           |

Hope you see that in fixed-size font :-)

I have tried (hopefully all) the Qt 6.4.2 examples and:

- The multi-output and multi-screen examples sadly fail with

EGLFS: OpenGL windows cannot be mixed with others.

This is not the same thing as what Weston does but would have helped to solve my issue in a different way.

- All the other options seems to require a pre-defined config file (normally kms.conf) with the display's resolution previously harcoded in it. This I need to avoid as I don't know what resolution will the plugged monitor have.

Am I missing something? Is this possible at all with QtWayland's compositor?

Kinds regards, Lisandro.