[Interest] Recommendation for fast drawing for QtQuick?

Stan Morris pixelgrease at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:17:25 CEST 2024

I need to draw a lot of lines with low CPU utilization in a QtQuick app on
ARM i.MX8. Neither QML Shapes nor QNanoPainter are fast enough.

What do you recommend?

Drawing with QSGGeometry is fast enough, but I need to draw lines with
widths greater than one pixel and there's an annoying notch on line joins.
My first attempt at rounded end caps ends up as single pixels. I see there
are ways to draw circles... but I feel like QSGGeometry is the
wrong direction. This is Qt 6.7 on Linux (could be Qt 6.8 in a few
months).  Surely there is something better?

QSGRenderNode and QRhi look promising, but I want to get an opinion before
I spend the next few weeks exploring QSGRenderNode. Also, it would be nice
to draw text from C++ to keep the interface simple.

Thanks, Stan