[Qt-l10n] [Development] Using Transifex for handling Qt localization?

Gábor Garami hrgyster at gmail.com
Mon May 21 00:13:41 CEST 2012

Just my two cent:

First, I am a translation leader of Hungarian language, and as I
experience, Linguist is quite enough for translating Qt. Even if Linguist
can be better, translating Qt is not a very special thing (except Designer
and Creator), there are some general strings and there is a lot of examples
how to translate them.

In other hand, I do not know any translation service (including Transifex)
what can tell you how the string placed what you translating. Linguist can
show you the complete dialog where the translation will being placed and
this help is not replaceable.

My second thought is if Qt has a translation software and it is not found
enough to translate the Qt itself, then we do something very wrong. If
things are really needed to translate Qt, then we need to implement them in
Linguist, because this is our dedicated and customizable translation tool.

Btw, I cannot imagine why Nokia (and previously Trolltech) do not foucus to
Linguist to improve it and make it as a best translation software (I used
it in a lot of translation project, in some cases I converted external
sources to TS just for use Linguist, so I little lack an objectivity). As I
see Linguist is a quite good translator software but it can be more better
(External API integration in suggestions, more intelligent translation
memory), and I would like if we improve it instead of giving up a lot of
work what invented into this utility.

This is my private opinion, maybe I missed some points.

Regards,
--
Gabor Garami
hrgyster at gmail.com