[Qt-l10n] [Development] Using Transifex for handling Qt localization?

Gábor Garami gabor.garami at hron.me
Wed May 23 09:13:02 CEST 2012

I do not think Linguist does not need a more collaboration features. This
is just one what I'd like to see, even if it means Linguist needs some
additional files where it can be stored.

In other hand:

> Linguist just can't handle the "distributed" part of the work, which
> is fine. It shouldn't,
> it's not part of the problem domain of translating strings. I'm not
saying Linguist couldn't
> be improved in some ways, I'm saying Linguist is not to blame here.

I did not blamed Linguist but I think Linguist is not just an editor what
handles special file formats. Currently linguist has a basic implementation
of the translation memory (even if phrasebooks are lack a lot of feature of
it), suggestions and a lot of more things. I think Linguist is a
translation tool like other stuffs (for example Transifex). Or, I do not
want to make a border between Linguist and Transifex.

However, I do not like Transifex too. My first problem is Transifex has a
lot of problems, for example importing translation files. I tried to do
that and I got a less than 50% translated project from a fully translated
one. I think it is very bad result. My second problem is Transifex is an
online tool. Even if I think cloud is cool, I do not think we need move
everything to cloud. For example, I like translate Qt when I do not have
internet connection too, and commit my changes to a Git repo. Transifex
cannot work without an internet connection, and usage of transifex-client
is more complicated than Git or SVN.

But you can say I am a conservative guy.

Regards,
--
Garami Gábor
E-mail: gabor.garami at hron.me