[Localization] How to merge translations?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Thu Apr 13 16:04:22 CEST 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 03:19:03PM +0200, Fòram na Gàidhlig wrote:
> I have finished my translation of qtbase 5.6 and now would like to do
> the same for version 5.8, without having to click through a bazillion
> entries. So, I'm looking for the Qt equivalent for msgmerge, which seems
> to be lconvert.

the easiest way is to have the translation integrated into the lower
branch, and then just wait a few days for it being forward-merged. when
that happens, you update the template in the higher branch (or get the
one from the website) and continue from there. there should be no
clicking required where nothing changed.

it's *really* not recommended to work on two versions simultaneously. it
would be a nightmare to review, and to process the feedback.

> I have downloaded the 5.8 release from the Qt homepage and installed it
> on Linux Mint. No lconvert.

lconvert and lupdate are usually part of the qt linguist package. but
given that you need to ask these questions, it's likely that you should
stick with the provided templates.