[PySide] Web site transfer

Matti Airas matti.p.airas at nokia.com
Mon Apr 30 13:45:13 CEST 2012

Hi list,

There's one final thing in the PySide migration to Qt add-on: the
website. I've been trying to have the migration arranged, but progress
has been very slow. Also, May 3 is my last work-day at Nokia, so that
complicates things further.

PySide is currently hosted at a Virtual Machine provided by Nokia IT,
which has made it easy because there have not been any fees or bandwidth
quotas (and the connectivity has been quite excellent). Unfortunately,
that VM is leased only until end of June, so arrangements need to be
made pretty soon.

Unfortunately, Qt Project is unwilling to provide a virtual machine for
PySide, and therefore a direct migration of the VM is not feasible. They
have proposed that they can host the static content (binaries,
documentation & doc packages) which account for vast majority of the
traffic anyway. Then, the current WordPress site contents (which isn't
much any longer, anyway) could be moved to the wiki, with a possibility
to have a static landing page as the home page. The news blog would then
need to be migrated to any free 3rd-party blogging platform such as
wordpress.com. This is probably doable and something that the project
could live with, but it does require additional effort and decrease the
level of service somewhat, both for the administrators (no access to WP
authoring tools) and for the end-users (URLs for binaries and docs
change, blog aggregation needs to be updated). In the long term, this
would be the approach requiring the least amount of maintenance.

Another alternative which could be feasible is to have a VM elsewhere
and Qt Project would just point the DNS there. The VM requirements are
not huge: the current VM is a single-core one Xeon 2.5 GHz with 2 GB of
allocated memory and 40 GB of disk space. However, the site generates
quite some traffic - in April, 120 GB, and the number has been
increasing at a steady pace. Also, having a separate VM would require a
dedicated admin who would be willing to maintain the VM, take backups, etc.

I would like to hear your opinions on this one. In the first option, the
up front work and changes would be bigger but the long-term effort
lower, and no external costs would be incurred. In the latter option,
the migration would be less painful but having the VM would require more
maintenance in the future, and recurring payments would occur.

Also, I'd like to call for volunteers to help with the migration and the
future maintenance. As said, my work obligation at Nokia is ending and
while I'm not vanishing altogether, it'd be helpful if someone else
could take the lead. Srini, you volunteered for the webmaster and
wikimaster duties in February - although this might not be what you had
in mind, would you still be interested?

Also, if a separate VM is desired, a sponsor is needed for that. I
wonder if any companies would be interested in providing that, for a
modest logo or banner visibility on the web site? A basic 3rd-party VM
with that amount of traffic would cost some 40-50 EUR/USD a month. Not a
huge sum, but I wouldn't feel happy paying it out of my own pocket,
especially with the steadily increasing traffic.

Cheers,

Matti Airas