[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Mon Dec 10 10:18:58 CET 2012

On Sunday 09 December 2012 23:37:07 Stephan Deibel wrote:
> Lucas Tanure wrote:
> > Well, I mean there is no more development.
> > But, How I can help? I have a lot free time.
>
> What's really needed is for more people to get up to speed on the PySide
> internals to the point of being able to review patches and eventually
> help with maintenance.   The project also needs a new lead maintainer
> since Hugo would like to step down from that role.  However, of course,
> that person would need to know PySide well enough to do that, and I
> think many of us are still learning.  I've been trying to get up to
> speed myself, but am pretty short on time so am still really just a
> PySide user w/ fairly limited knowledge of the internals.
>
> Right now there are a lot of bug reports in the bug tracker that have
> not moved beyond Reported status.  Some have patches and others
> (probably most) don't.  Those with patches could go into the code review
> system. A good way to start may be to look at what's in the code review
> system already for PySide (I think only 3 entries there are still open)
> to try to assess whether there are problems with those, and/or to look
> at fixing some of the bugs that don't have fixes yet, and/or move bugs
> that have patches into the code review system.
>
> The main PySide wiki page has links to the bug tracker, code review
> system, the existing docs, and other info:
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide
>
> Another idea is try to write up some documentation on the PySide
> internals. Some of the docs pages referenced from wiki pages such as
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/PySide_Generating_New_Bindings (and others)
> are missing, I think in part a casualty of things getting lost in the
> transition from Nokia to Digia.  I've found there are versions of these
> in the Way Back Machine at http://archive.org/web/web.php but I don't
> know how out of date those would be.  It would be nice to have some sort
> of intact and up-to-date developer docs again, as seem to have once
> existed.
>
> Those are just some ideas.  If you do have a lot of time and the
> motivation to work on it, I think your work will be much appreciated and
> will be very helpful to all PySide users.
>
> - Stephan

Stephan and others,

Lucas asked a very interesting and serious question - "PySide is Dead".
It is a pity that so few people bothered to try to answer that.

I've been away from PySide, and even Python,  for several months.  In
fact, for many month.  So if I want to take it up again, should I go to
PyQt or PySide?  My time is running out. Like running really out.
permanently.  So where is PySide at?

Yes, short of knowledgeable people.  Who is not?!   I just looked up
mailing list archives.  To call it an archive is a joke - start at
February 2012,  indeed!  Where are the earlier emails?  I can not believe
that everything prior to Feb 2012 is lost.  If it is, then the written
history is lost and it sure means "death by a thousand cuts".

OldAl.