[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Mon Dec 10 14:56:25 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 10:38 -0300, Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
> Is normal, our the binding generator code base is a mess to understand
> due to
> various historical events occurred during the development, in the
> ideal world
> the generator would be written in Python with a clean code base, just
> the
> helper libraries in C++ (libshiboken and libpyside), but this would
> require a
> full rewrite of the generator :-/. Our typesystem file inherited from
> Qt-Jambi
> is also not the better way to give hints to the generator about how
> generate bindings.

I was thinking about this today (triggered by the original email!).

How realistic is it to create an API-extractor definition -> Cython
tool, combined with the (possibly more developed) pxd generation tool:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/redbrain1123/28002

(which seemingly is in an alpha state)

Is there more to creating QT bindings than that? How much effort would
that be?

It strikes me that Cython solves many of the difficult problems already,
and it supports C++ pretty well now.

(It's a genuine question, not an arrogant put down)

Cheers,

Henry