[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Mon Dec 10 18:06:45 CET 2012

Jason McCampbell wrote:
> We are very interested in seeing the community make it through the
> transition and move forward as well. Thoughts on what is needed to
> help spur the process? How do we start to gather that community
> together? Is there interest in something like a Birds of a Feather
> meeting at PyConn to get interested parties together?

A BoF at PyCon is a great idea and I'll try to set that up (currently
the Open Space section of the PyCon site is missing; I have emailed the
organizers about this).

A sprint is another idea.  Are there people that would consider going to
a sprint at PyCon US 2013?  I would have to change my travel plans to
make it, but I probably can do that.  I don't know about John, however.

Until then, we can engage in further discussion here and just get
started on taking some of the smaller steps.  For example, a good
initial goal is to come together to work through and review some of the
bug fixes John is proposing, towards getting them (and the other items
already in the code review system) committed.

While it may eventually happen, I think starting out by trying to
rewrite large parts of PySide in Python is probably the wrong approach.
At least for myself, I find it easier to get up to speed working on
smaller things first.  Of course others here may be further ahead than I
on the learning curve and more comfortable w/ thinking about the
rewrite, which is fine.

In general terms, making the transition is going to take a return of
people that are in some way paid to work on PySide.  This may be stating
the obvious, but I think most successful open source projects have some
money behind them.  For PySide, that money just went away, which is
really the root of the problem.  I say this mainly because we'll each
need to figure out how to allocate resources at our companies, if not
already done.

- Stephan