[PySide] PySide is Dead?

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Mon Dec 10 18:42:35 CET 2012

On 12/10/12 12:32 PM, Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
>> My thought on the code generator was to have the C++ parser write
>> the parse tree out to some xml file that could then be read by a
>> code generator written in python.  Then the C++ parser could
>> possibly be replaced with something else and the generator could
>> be more quickly improved since it's now implemented in python.
>> Changing it would still require C++ knowledge, though, because
>> it's emitting C++ code.
>
> There's GCCXML[1], so the python program just read the output of
> GCC XML plus some other file with meta information equivalent to
> the current typesystem but less verbose and outputs the binding
> code, seems easy, but it's a looooonnng task.

As a first small step, I would modify shiboken to output the parse
tree from its internal C++ parser.  I would do this mainly to minimize
the changes to the generator and the goal here is to get the generator
code converted to python and not to replace the C++ parser.

Later, alternative parsers could be investigated and perhaps used --
something based on gcc worries me though because it may not be easy to
install and use on Windows.

Cheers,

John