[PySide] PySide is Dead?

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Mon Dec 10 20:47:14 CET 2012

On 12/10/12 1:20 PM, Henry Gomersall wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 12:53 -0500, John Ehresman wrote:
>> Qt defines some common classes (e.g. QObject) and some rules that
>> govern
>> when objects are deleted.  I'm sure that a large part of the work that
>> went into PySide was to manage the lifetime and behavior of Python
>> wrapper objects based on how Qt works.  This sort of code is Qt
>> specific
>> and not generic.
>
> Can you give me an example of the problem here? I mean, is the issue
> that the binding code needs to keep track of when (say) a QObject is
> deleted (in which case does QObjectCleanupHandler not provide that
> support) or is it that the bindings _should_ be deleting objects based
> on some documented rules?

QObjectCleanupHandler could potentially be very useful, though I or
someone else would need to look at how it works.  QObjects also need to
be deleted if they have no parent and no Python code references them,
though there may be exceptions to that rule.  PySide's typesystem files
are substantial and some of the code in them was added to handle special
cases.

But, my main point was all of this is Qt specific.  I was involved
somewhat with pygtk where many of the issues were the same, but the
mechanisms to solve them depended on the glib/GObject runtime rather
than the Qt/QObject runtime.

Cheers,

John