[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Erik Janssens Erik.Janssens at conceptive.be
Mon Dec 10 21:32:06 CET 2012

I can give some comments on this, as I have studied
in detail how PyQt behaves.

The main problem is, on one side you have Python with :
- reference counting
- garbage collector
On the other side, there is Qt with :
- parent/child memory management
- cross thread signals/slot relations

And you need to 'merge' these 4 concepts in the bindings.
This is notoriously difficult, and has a lot of edge cases.
I believe PyQt handles all of them correctly, but only after
years of tweaking the code.

This is also why it's not straightforward to use existing
binding tools such as SWIG or Cython to 'wrap' Qt objects
and make them available in Python.

To make PySide succeed, this behaviour is the most
important part to be documented !  It should be possible
for anyone to review what happens in what case and why.

Over the years, I have assembled some unit tests that
check some of the edge cases :

https://www.gitorious.org/camelot/camelot/blobs/master/test/test_qt_bindings.py

Cheers,

Erik