[PySide] PySide is Dead?

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Mon Dec 10 18:29:28 CET 2012

On Monday, December 10, 2012 01:56:25 PM Henry Gomersall wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 10:38 -0300, Hugo Parente Lima wrote:
> > Is normal, our the binding generator code base is a mess to understand
> > due to
> > various historical events occurred during the development, in the
> > ideal world
> > the generator would be written in Python with a clean code base, just
> > the
> > helper libraries in C++ (libshiboken and libpyside), but this would
> > require a
> > full rewrite of the generator :-/. Our typesystem file inherited from
> > Qt-Jambi
> > is also not the better way to give hints to the generator about how
> > generate bindings.
>
> I was thinking about this today (triggered by the original email!).
>
> How realistic is it to create an API-extractor definition -> Cython
> tool, combined with the (possibly more developed) pxd generation tool:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/redbrain1123/2800
> 2
>
> (which seemingly is in an alpha state)
>
> Is there more to creating QT bindings than that? How much effort would
> that be?
>
> It strikes me that Cython solves many of the difficult problems already,
> and it supports C++ pretty well now.
>
> (It's a genuine question, not an arrogant put down)

At the time of PySide creation (around the end of 2008) we studied various
projects and *at the time* none of them had a reasonable C++ support, so
PySide was started after some successful experiments made by Renato with Boost
Python plus a modified version of a JavaScript binding generator, this
Javascript binding generator was also a fork from QtJambi with their own
workarounds, a year later Boost python proved to not be a good choice to
create bindings for big libraries like Qt and we dropped it (Shiboken was
born) but still using the same generator code base.

I think a research about the current state of binding generators could be re-
done nowadays, if a good solution without licensing problems was found drop
shiboken for a better maintained tool could be a good step for the project.