[PySide] About the next PySide release

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:45:57 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM, paulo alcantara
<paulo.alcantara at openbossa.org> wrote:
> Hi Hugo,
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Hugo Parente Lima
> <hugo.lima at openbossa.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just raising a small issue: We have enough bug fixes to do a release but due
>> to this long transition to qt-projects plus the guys that didn't accepted the
>> CLA for they patches, mostly of the bugfixes are on github repository and the
>> github repository already differs a lot from the gitorious and gerrit
>> repositories so the question is:
>>
>> Should I do a release based on which repository? The most recent github with
>> new bugs fixed or the gerit without the new fixes plus minor regressions due
>> to people that didn't accepted the CLA?
>>

> There's some people waiting for the new PySide release based on the recently
> bugs fixed available on the github repository - some of them are important and
> should be possibly part of the new release, IMO.
>
>> A hard choice... because if I do the release based on github I'll have a nice
>> PySide release with plenty of bugs fixed but what to do next release? i.e. it
>> doesn't really solves the problem.
>>
>> If I go for gerrit, maybe there's not even enough fixes for a release plus I
>> don't want to spend my free time at home doing the re-work of applying patches
>> and solving conflicts on the new repository instead of fixing new bugs.
>>

> I agree with you.

>> While there's not a complete answer for that I can't do a release and PySide
>> stays in this limbo with active development but without a release :-/, for
>> sure PySide can't be that way forever.
>>

> I think that a new release is kind of *urgent* currently.
>
>> To increase the mess yesterday I pushed commits into Shiboken to simplify
>> PySide releases and development, ApiExtractor is now a static library and
>> GeneratorRunner is no more, so you will only need two repositories to compile
>> PySide, the one for the generator (Shiboken) and PySide itself.
>>

> This will really make our life easier. Great work, Hugo!

+1 on everything above. There is no reason to delay release, because
those legal fixes are only matter for Qt Project, not for PySide
users. Moreover I see no reasons why Git experts can not replay
patches from GitHub back to Gerrit to keep it in sync while we are
seeking volunteers for these Qt Project fixes.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM,  <matti.p.airas at nokia.com> wrote:

> If the release would be made from Github, the exact history would be lost once the commits are merged back to the main repo.

I don't understand what history will be lost? Tags? Yes, the hash will
change and the release will be broken, and if I understand correctly,
every tag in new Gerrit repository is broken now, because some
changesets are absent from history. Am I right?
--
anatoly t.