[PySide] About the next PySide release

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Thu Mar 8 18:58:52 CET 2012

On Thursday 08 March 2012 07:08:35 anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Hugo Parente Lima
>
> <hugo.lima at openbossa.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 March 2012 05:20:18 anatoly techtonik wrote:
> >> Hello guys,
> >>
> >> Are there any prospects on possible release date?
> >
> > We need to backport everything on github to the code on gerrit, when this
> > finish we can finally release a new version.
>
> 1. [ ] find the last common ancestor
> With HG I would do:
>   hg clone git://gitorious.org/pyside/pyside.git
>   cd pyside
>   hg inc --template '{node}' -l 1 git://github.com/PySide/PySide.git
>
> 2. [ ] Make new clone and import revisions starting after the hash
> from the step above into Mercurial Queue
>   cd ..
>   hg clone git://github.com/PySide/PySide.git pyside2
>   cd pyside2
>   hg qimport -r HASH:HEAD
>   hg qpop -a
>   cp -r .hg/patches ../pyside/.hg/
>   cd ../pyside
>   hg qpush -a
>   hg qfinish -a

We can use "git format-patch" then "git am" to apply the patches and hope for
no conflicts.

> Unfortunately, after Matti flattened the repository history this won't
> work anymore and we need to find this common revision manually. On the
> second thought even if the history was there, the hashes would be
> reindexed after history edition anyway, so we still have to inspect it
> manually. In any case, I think that a bad move to kill the project
> history.

I think the flattened history was maybe the only point that make me feel
against the move to qt-projects, the history really helps when developing,
it's the documentation of the project, when you don't know what a piece of
code does you just look at the history of those lines and see the commit
comments, reference for bugs in bugzilla, who wrote the changes, etc... and
now all this was gone :-/. Matti told me about a magic script that would do
that, I didn't see it and a doubt that it would be on pair with the own git
commands. I was talking with Renato days ago about it and he have the same
feelings, besides looking at git history with the lack of commits last weeks I
see that wasn't only me with this feeling.

IMO Gerrit isn't the best tool, isn't too user friendly, requires a password
for everything, i.e. it have their problems, but nothing that we can't get
used to (like we were used to bugzilla), unfortunately due to Nokia that owns
the name PySide (Matti, correct if I'm wrong) we can't just stick on git hub,
using their own bug tracking system and maybe even web server that github
offers, this would be perfect from the developer point of view (at least my
point of view), no moves, no changes the project would go on without
headaches... but we (pyside developers) can't do that, because doing that will
start the bizarre situation where all original developers forked the project
and no developers left on the official project. I *really* don't want this to
happen.

I still have the plan to do a rebase removing the offending commits from each
repository, solve the conflicts by hand then ask for a approval to push the
changes to gerrit send to Matti for approval, after that I'll finally feel
comfortable to continue to hack on PySide, but this takes times and I have not
much free time to code, so would be better to send my time fixing bugs rather
doing this code-bureaucracy stuff :-(.

Commits are the pulse of any project, developers are the heart, no developers
means no commits that means no pulse that means a dead project.

--
Hugo Parente Lima
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia