[PySide] Starting with shiboken

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Mon Mar 26 20:48:52 CEST 2012

On Monday 26 March 2012 15:18:43 Francisco GarcĂ­a wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to collect as many examples as possible binding C++
> libraries with Python (cython, ctypes, bost, switg...)

A good read about bindings:

http://setantas.net/pages/bindingcpp.html

> First I am trying to do a type of "hello world" for binding. Something like
> binding this C++ library
>
>     int add_these_numbers(int a, int b);
>
> however doing that with Shiboken and following the tutorial is not as piece
> of cake as the others. There are so many steps and files, that it can be
> overwhelming when compared with the others. I am even trying to avoid
> CMake, just to get a clear picture of what is going on. I have the feeling
> that Shiboken is not really hard. Just a lack of more blogs talking about
> it and more documentation. Also I could I could not find the sources of
> the tutorial. At least it is not in the shiboken repo.

Shiboken isn't too easy to start and the lack of documentation just makes the
bootstraping harder, so any initiative to create documentation and/or
tutorials are welcome.

> where could I download those sources?

From the tutorial? Which tutorial?

> I also saw on the PySide website a comment about the size of the binaries
> generated by Boost compared against the size generated by Shiboken. It was
> a good post with a more detailed explanation about the reasons for droping
> Boost. Does anyone have the link?

This must be a really old post, because we dropped boost::python more than a
year ago, maybe two.

> Can Shiboken map as much of C++ as Boost? (polymorphism, operator/function
> overloading...)

Yes it can :-).