[PySide] Starting with shiboken

Francisco GarcĂ­a public at francisco-garcia.net
Mon Mar 26 20:18:43 CEST 2012

Hello, I am trying to collect as many examples as possible binding C++ libraries with Python (cython, ctypes, bost, switg...)

First I am trying to do a type of "hello world" for binding. Something like binding this C++ library

    int add_these_numbers(int a, int b);

however doing that with Shiboken and following the tutorial is not as piece of cake as the others. There are so many steps and files, that it can be overwhelming when compared with the others. I am even trying to avoid CMake, just to get a clear picture of what is going on. I have the feeling that Shiboken is not really hard. Just a lack of more blogs talking about it and more documentation. Also I could I could not find the sources of the tutorial. At least it is not in the shiboken repo.

where could I download those sources?

I also saw on the PySide website a comment about the size of the binaries generated by Boost compared against the size generated by Shiboken. It was a good post with a more detailed explanation about the reasons for droping Boost. Does anyone have the link?

Can Shiboken map as much of C++ as Boost? (polymorphism, operator/function overloading...)

thanks in advance for all the possible help!

Francisco