[PySide] [Soc2012-general] Working with PySide for GSOC

Thomas Perl th.perl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:11:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

2012/3/26 Hugo Parente Lima <hugo.lima at openbossa.org>:
> On Saturday 24 March 2012 16:55:38 Julian Cromarty wrote:
>> fact any of the things listed), but the one that particularly interested me
>> is the idea of porting PySide to Android. I know Qt has already been ported
>> to Android thanks to the Necessitas project (which also has Qt integration
>> and so the QtCreator/PySide support might be useful to get done first) and
>> I'm currently looking into what may be required to compile PySide for
>> Android. The page linked to from the Ideas page is empty.
>
> The Android port was done, but I don't know the current state, Qt5 port is a
> good choice, you can start doing bindings for qtbase module, it's small and
> will be useful to you to get a idea of the amount of work needed to accomplish
> the task, you can go to #pyside and ask for help if needed.

The current state of the Android port:

    http://thp.io/2011/pyside-android/

It's still not perfect (read: polished). It needs to be upgraded to a
newer version of the Qt SDK (Necessitas) and it should probably also
re-use an existing SL4A/Py4A installation instead of having a custom
installation in /data/python/. Alternatively, one could think about
bundling the required Python modules + libpython with the .apk or make
it a module for Necessitas/Ministro.

This probably needs some coordination with the Necessitas (Qt for
Android) project, and it should probably also upgrade to the
qt-project.org-based PySide (with the new Shiboken that has
apiextractor and generatorrunner included).

If you have any questions about the Android port, feel free to ask.

HTH :)
Thomas