[PySide] IPython Mac 10.7 QApplication instance already exists

Nathan Smith nathanjsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 23 23:03:56 CEST 2012

Hi Jason,

PySide only supports creating a single persistent instance of QApplication.
This singleton exists forever and cannot be deleted.  If you have a
function that tries to create a QApplication, then I recommend placing that
creation inside of a try/except block:

try:
  app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
except RuntimeError:
  app = QtCore.QCoreApplication.instance()

This will either create a new QApplication instance if one does not exist,
or return the current QApplication instance if one already does exist.

Nathan