[PySide] Can PySide run with Qt DLLs in another location other than Lib\site-packages\PySide\

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:36:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am working together with Ameya on this problem. To tell the whole
story: we are developing an application that embeds Python. We also
include the python executable in our distribution. Our file layout
mirrors that of a python distro. On Windows it looks like this:

<install_dir>/our_app.exe
<install_dir>/python.exe
<install_dir>/QtGui4.dll <-- must be in the same directory as
our_app.exe, since it is a Qt4 application
<install_dir>/Lib/site-packages/PySide

We would like PySide to work both from scripts run by our_app.exe and
from python.exe.

It is acceptable for us to modify the environment before running our python.exe.

We prefer not to duplicate the Qt libraries into the site-packages
directory. From what I read here, this should be possible: PySide can
still be loaded from our python.exe as long as our application
directory is added to PATH?

If possible we would like to avoid having a qt.conf, since that
complicates the installation process. (it needs to work automatically
both when developers compile it on their machines, and when our app
gets installed to custom locations by the users).

Similarly, shouldn't it be sufficient that the location of the Qt
libraries are added to LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux?

Thanks for any input,
- Thomas