[PySide] Can PySide run with Qt DLLs in another location other than Lib\site-packages\PySide\

Roman Lacko backup.rlacko at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 00:21:15 CEST 2012

2012/10/4 John Cummings <jcummings2 at users.sf.net>:
> On 10/04/2012 03:01 AM, Thomas Berg wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Roman Lacko<backup.rlacko at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Yes pyside will work when Qt libs are in PATH
>> Ok, great.
>>
>>> PySide will not work without qt,conf, as you can read here
>>> http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/4.8/qt-conf.html,
>>> you need to override the hardcoded paths in Qt library.
>>>
>>> I would generate qt.cong with build tool (cmake or whatever) when
>>> compiling on dev machine.
>>> When instaling on users machie, the qt.conf can (and should) be
>>> generated by app installer.
>> Actually, this is not in agreement with our experience. Our own
>> application also depends on finding Qt plugins for example, and it
>> does indeed work if the Qt files are carefully placed in correct
>> locations relative to the application. We will add a qt.conf if
>> needed.
>>

> I concur with Thomas' statement. You do not need a qt.conf to run if the Qt
> files are placed in the search path. I understand that you can use a qt.conf but
> it is not strictly necessary.

When I run pyside without qt.conf, then qt runtime is not able to find
plugins like sqldrivers and imageformats.
Try to run this example [1] without qt.conf, and you will be unable to
load any image. With qt.conf in place it will work.

[1] http://qt.gitorious.org/pyside/pyside-examples/blobs/master/examples/widgets/imageviewer.py

Roman