[PySide] Purpose of the Notify kwarg in QtCore.Property

Tony Barbieri greatrgb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:28:31 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am trying to figure out what the notify kwarg does in the QtCore.Property
command.  I thought that it would emit a signal whenever a Property
changes, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.  I was trying it with
the following code:

from PySide import QtCore

@QtCore.Slot(int)
def updated(val):
    print 'Updated!!'

class MyObject(QtCore.QObject):
    def __init__(self, startval=42):
        QtCore.QObject.__init__(self)
        self.ppval = startval

    def set_pp(self, val):
        self.ppval = val

    def get_pp(self):
        return self.ppval

    pp_changed = QtCore.Signal(int)
    pp = QtCore.Property(int, get_pp, set_pp, notify=pp_changed)

obj = MyObject()
obj.pp_changed.connect(updated)
obj.pp = 47
print obj.pp

I could just have the pp_changed emit within set_pp but my understanding is
that this is a shortcut to not have to add that line.

Thanks!

--
-tony