[PySide] PySide website down

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Fri Sep 28 14:07:08 CEST 2012

Matti Airas wrote:
> Unfortunately the WHOIS information is not correct. The domain was
> moved from Nokia Meego (where I worked) to Qt Project around March or
> April, but for some reason the Qt admins decided to put my information
> as the owner. I no longer work at Nokia and have no access there.
>
> Hugo and Luciano gave me a heads-up about the virtual server being
> down. There's probably nothing that can be done about that, but the
> plan was anyway that Qt Project admins would create a redirect from
> pyside.org <http://pyside.org> to the PySide wiki front page, and
> provide hosting for the static pages. I've tried emailing Qt about the
> issue as well, but got no reply so far. Next, some good ole' phone
> calls...
>
> If the consensus is that being part of Qt Project is actually harmful
> for PySide (due to issues like the current one), we could of course
> try to discuss with Qt Project about getting the ownership of the
> domain ourselves (dunno who should be the right owner?). Or, a bit
> more than year ago, when trying to figure out the eventual home for
> PySide, I was also discussing with PSF, and they would've been
> willing, but Qt proposed the current setup, and at the time I thought
> it would be a great idea. PSF probably would be still willing, but if
> I recall correctly, that'd require a copyright assignment to PSF from
> all contributors, and I still have painful memories about the Qt
> contributor license agreement hassle... :-/

I'm almost 100% certain that the PSF hosting some resources for PySide
won't come with a requirement about licensing or process for PySide.  Or
at least that's my impression from having been on the PSF board some
years ago, and from everything I've observed since. It certainly is true
that a contributor agreement is needed for anything in Python itself and
the Python standard library, but PySide would not go into the Python
standard library.

That said, is the problem with Qt Project or a temporary one caused by
the transfer from Nokia to Digia?

I don't care too much either way but maybe in the long term being part
of the Qt Project will be less hassle (if really part of it, and not
easily orphaned again as seems to have happened now).

- Stephan