[PySide] PySide website down

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Fri Sep 28 16:14:09 CEST 2012

Matti Airas wrote:

>     I'm almost 100% certain that the PSF hosting some resources for
>     PySide won't come with a requirement about licensing or process
>     for PySide.  Or at least that's my impression from having been on
>     the PSF board some years ago, and from everything I've observed
>     since. It certainly is true that a contributor agreement is needed
>     for anything in Python itself and the Python standard library, but
>     PySide would not go into the Python standard library.
>

> I was discussing the issue with some PSF board members back in August
> 2011, and that was the message then.

I just contacted the PSF board directly and indeed that seems to be the
case if the PSF were to take over ownership of PySide.  That isn't what
I thought was on the table -- I thought it was just to get some PSF
resources for hosting the project's website/etc.  But the snippets of
past emails that were forwarded to me clearly were talking about
contributing the intellectual property rights to PySide to the PSF, so
it would also become responsible for defending any lawsuits, dealing
with abuse of the trademark, etc.  That isn't really possible w/o
contributor agreements.

Sorry, I just thought we were talking about a hosting/funding-of-hosting
arrangement here.  I personally don't think the PSF should take on
owning/defending more than Python and the Python standard library, and
it didn't occur to me that they would even consider that.

Anyway, this is probably a moot point but I figured I'd post this for
the record.

- Stephan