[PySide] Resurrecting PySide

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Mon Apr 1 14:35:37 CEST 2013

Hi David,

Starting this thread Long Duong has asked for authority to re-organise the
wiki and for help to do it.  I am willing to help and I offer to  do so.

I have trimmed this email as it was getting rather long.  I was tempted to
start a new thread as this thread is getting old, but I will resist the
temptation, at least for now.

I think you, David, have raised a vital point - the need to help the
newbies with their questions.  The objective is noble and useful, but it
is difficult.  It is much easier to prepare good tutorial material for the
beginners and it may well be equally or even more attractive to new users.

Few years ago I wrote a few tutorials, under the name "PySide-
simplicissimus".  As an experienced educator I thought I could make best
contribution to PySide by addressing my tutorials to real beginners.

"PySide-Simplicissimus" is made up of several real newbie  tutorial
examples with solutions.  Most were translated to French and to Japanese
by "person or persons unknown".  Here is a little table, indicating which
modules of PySideSimplicissimus were translated in to language or
languages other than original English:

"Prerequisites"     module  		  French
"Close"                  module                French and Japanese
"About"                 module                French and Japanese
"ShowLicence"    module                French and Japanese
"Combine"           module                French and Japanese
"Alternative Combine"   module   French and Japanese
"Combine All in one"      module   Japanese
"Engineering application" module   -- no known translations

All the modules are simple newbie exercises, but the last one had a  small
injection of tiny bit of theory.  Is this evidence that really simple,
newbie examples are preferred by the newbies as an introduction to PySide?
Probably yes.  Do we need more simple tutorials for the beginners?  I
think yes.

Some years ago I wrote a simple tutorial  program of a reasonably complete
simple text editor in PyQt.  It is at

http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/simple
and
http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/simplefinis

I am in the process of porting the tutorial to PySide and Python 3.x. If
there are no objections, I would like to post it in the PySide newbie
tutorial section in a similar style to PySideSimplicissimus:

>From wiki/PySideTutorials  link to new page PySideSimple
from PySideSimple links to probably 4 separate stage pages with return to
PySideSimple, which in turn returns to PySideTutorials.

I know this wiki (like most wikis) uses a flat file system.  That's why a
structure or a pseudo structure is so important  IMHO.

To summarise - as the lists ability to promptly answer newbie questions
may be limited, a good set of newbie tutorials is essential.

Cheers,

Al   (aka OldAl)

On Wednesday 20 March 2013 11:46:24 David Brandse wrote:

One of the things I've noticed about people posting the "PySide is dead"
threads seems to be that they will ask a question either here or in IRC
and wait a few days for an answer, in the event that they don't get an
answer the immediate response seems to be that the project is dead.
Perhaps one of the areas that should be focused on is helping out users on
the mailing list with problems.
 - David