[PySide] secure password handling

Frank Rueter | OHUfx frank at ohufx.com
Wed Dec 11 01:03:50 CET 2013

just picking up on this again:

I'm still wondering what the best approach is in a PySide app to get
from the plain text password that a user enters in a widget to an
encrypted version of it while minimising the risk of theft of the
original password?!
I am currently encrypting the password via rsa using a public key and
decrypting it on the server side with a private key.
That's all nice, but what about the text that is entered in the widget
itself? Isn't it too easy to hack the code to grab the password before
it is encrypted? Even if I distribute the respective pyside and password
code as pyc?

Is it a feasible idea to have a pre-compiled PySide widget (not sure how
to do that) that encrypts the password upon reception and only ever
store the result of that?

I guess this is a scenario where it would be of benefit to use C++ or
other compiled languaes (which is beyond my knowledge).

I would greatly appreciate people's input on this!

Cheers,
frank