[PySide] PySide for Android & comprehensive build and usage guide

Adrià Cereto Massagué ssorgatem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:39:02 CET 2013

Hi Martin,

That's great news :) Hopefully it will help  PySide's popularity.
BTW, I'm that mysterious "Ssorgatem at GitHub" ;) so you can use my real name
instead in the acknowledgements (Adrià Cereto-Massagué).
Now kivy's got real competition.

Kind regards,

Adrià

 2013/2/18 Martin Kolman <martin.kolman at gmail.com>

>> Hi,
>> I would like announce that I've managed to build Shiboken & PySide
>> against the latest Necessitas Qt libraries for Android.
>> I've also found found a way to bundle all the necessary libraries to
>> single standalone Android APK package.
>>
>> This basically means, that it is now possible to write Python & PySide
>> applications that can be installed from standalone APK packages to
>> non-rooted user devices, just like any other Android application.
>> While I haven't tried that yet, it should be also possible to submit
>> them to Google Play and other online Android application
>> stores/repositories.
>>

>> Build & usage guide
>> I've written this comprehensive Pyside for Android guide:
>> http://modrana.org/trac/wiki/PySideForAndroid
>>
>> The guide covers & contains:
>> * building PySide for Android from source
>> * description of how the PySide port & packaging works on Android
>> * an example Python & PySide & Qt Components application in the form of
>> an installable standalone APK
>> * an example project for the Necessitas Qt Creator + instructions how to
>> modify it to generate APKs for custom applications
>> * links to source code
>> * links to pre-built binaries
>>

>> Screenshots
>> http://modrana.org/trac/wiki/ScreenshotsEN#PySideQtComponentsexample
>> These screenshots show the example application after it is installed &
>> started on an android device (HP Touchpad with CM9 in this case).
>> The example application uses MeeGo Qt Components, which are also bundled
>> together with a cut-down theme and the other libraries (Python & PySide)
>> in the APK.
>>

>> Looking forward to your feedback ! :)
>>

>> Acknowledgement
>> This project is building on the awesome work done previously by others.
>> I basically "just" put the puzzle together. :)
>>
>> * Thomas Perl - showed that PySide for Android is possible
>> * Ssortagem at Github - integrated & improved THPs patches for Shiboken and
>> PySide
>> * android-python27 - solved the APK bundling issue, created the initial
>> Qt Creator Project & provides Android-buildable Python 2.7
>> * the BlackBerry-Py project - I've used their PySide build instructions
>> as a base when making the Android build scripts
>> * the Necessitas project - made Qt on Android possible & provides the
>> Necessitas Qt Creator
>> * Qt - provided the GUI toolkit :)
>> * PySide - provided the Python-Qt bindings
>> * Ineans Qt Components - provided the Qt Components used in the example
>> application & project
>>
>> Thanks a lot, without your work, this would not be possible ! :)
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Martin Kolman

*Adrià Cereto Massagué*
Ph.D Student
Nutrigenomics Research Group
Biochemistry and Biotechnology Department
Building N4, Campus Sescelades
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
Tarragona, Catalonia

Languages: Català, Español, English, Français, Deutsch, Português

Important Notice <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>