[PySide] PySide for Android & comprehensive build and usage guide

Martin Kolman martin.kolman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 16:05:48 CET 2013

19.2.2013 18:39, Adrià Cereto Massagué:
> Hi Martin,
>
> That's great news :) Hopefully it will help  PySide's popularity.
I definitely hope so - after the death of Linux at Nokia, it wasn't lookig
particularly good with Python on mobile devices. Android being the most
used mobile OS should give it a good boost. :)

BTW, regarding recent PySide developments in the mobile area:

* Mer & Nemo Mobile: PySide is available [1] and already used by
multiple applications
- as Mer & Nemo are the base Jollas Sailfish mobile OS is being build
upon, there are good chances PySide will be available for Sailfish out
of the box

* Ubuntu Phone/Tablet - build on Qt5, but if they either also ship Qt 4
or PySide gets Qt 5 support, getting pyside to work on this OS/distro
PySide should be probably easy

* BlackBerry 10 - before finishing the PySide I've managed to make
PySide work on BB10 (building on the work of the BlackBerry-Py project
for the BB Playbook tablet)
- there is not much documentation to for this yet, but I've summarized
the most important gotchas in this [2] mailing list message
- my PySide & Qt Components application for BB10 called Mieru is already
published in BlackBerry World [3]
- as BB10 already contains usable Qt libries (4.8.4) and Python (3.2),
the packages are quite a bit smaller than on Android - about 6.9 MB for
the above mentioned application

> BTW, I'm that mysterious "Ssorgatem at GitHub" ;) so you can use my real
> name instead in the acknowledgements (Adrià Cereto-Massagué).
OK, fixed, thanks ! :)
> Now kivy's got real competition.
I've investigated Kivi when looking for a cross-platform mobile-friendly
GUI toolkit some time ago, but it seemed to be too low-level.

> Kind regards,
>
> Adrià

Best wishes
Martin