[PySide] PySide for Android & comprehensive build and usage guide

robbert superslimme at netscape.net
Wed Feb 20 21:07:51 CET 2013

> This basically means, that it is now possible to write Python & PySide
> applications that can be installed from standalone APK packages to
> non-rooted user devices, just like any other Android application.

Great work! This is what I've been waiting for, for a long time.
I followed your guide for creating a package (not building PySide).
I tried this on two machines, both are able to 'build' a package, and
deploy it to the device. Sadly, both packages give the error:
"Unfortunately, PySideExample has stopped".
(Your precompiled package works nicely)

The following remarks / bottlenecks I came across when using the guide.
(Note, both machines run WinXp sp3)

The installer of Necessitas stopped downloading at a random package, and
wouldn't recover (I tried several times).
The solution is to install a lot less, and use the maintenance tool to
install the other packages (one by one if necessary).
It could be that the shortcuts to the maintenance tool do not work. To
solve this,go to the Necessitas-folder, and remove the '.new' extension
from the files: "SDKMaintenanceTool.exe.new" and
"SDKMaintenanceTool.dat.new".

To install the ADB device driver for your device you can install PdaNet
([1], alternatives [2])
A Java JDK is necessary (download: [3]), and you need to set the
environment variable JAVA_HOME (to something like: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_13) [4].

One machine (PC1), gave an extra error
> "P:/Program Files/Git/bin/sh.exe": install: command not found
> ma-make: [install_target] Error 127 (ignored)
> ma-make: Leaving directory
> `D:/temp/android-pyside-example-project-master/PySideExample-build-eda69e-Release'
> p:\necessitas\android-ndk\toolchains\arm-linux-androideabi-4.4.3\prebuilt\windows\bin\arm-linux-androideabi-strip.exe:
> 'D:tempandroid-pyside-example-project-masterandroid-pyside-example-project-masterandroidlibsarmeabilibPySideExample.so':
> No such file
According to [5] this is caused by any sh.exe on the Windows system path.
Remove the git reference from the path results in another error (Not
seen on PC2).

> The process "P:\necessitas\QtCreator\bin\ma-make.exe" exited normally.
>
> Cannot find ''.
>
> Please make sure your application is built successfully and is
> selected in Application tab ('Run option').

It somehow also makes more configuration options available (armv5-Run
locally, armv7a, arm7a-Run locally, armv5-MinGW (x86 32bit)).

Some other remarks:
When I loaded the example-project, it asked me to configure it. Is this
correct?
The guide mentions a "green deploy button", I only see the 2 run icons,
and the android logo button. To deploy I used file menu (Build -> Deploy
Project "PySideExample").

Kind regards,

Robbert

[1] http://www.junefabrics.com/android/download.php