[PySide] Near term plans for pyside

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Tue Mar 26 18:19:53 CET 2013

I'd like to outline what I'd like to see happen regarding pyside in the
near-term:

* Getting a new minor release out -- there are fixes in the git
repository that should be more widely used so I'm interested in making a
release of the current code, with perhaps a few other minor fixes.  The
release will come from a new team of developers (including myself) and
we'll be learning how to do it along the way.

* Improving documentation for Python developers -- Roman and Indn have
started working on the wiki and the generated documentation and my hope
is that we can generate / update docs in the future as releases occur.

* Cleaning up the bug tracker -- numerous bugs have been filed and I
need to get a sense of them and their relative importance.  Some can be
closed (at least one of my bugs is fixed but I don't currently have the
privileges to close it) and perhaps others are easy fixes.  I'd also
like to get more people looking at the tracker and triaging reports.

* Getting more people up to speed on pyside internals -- the more people
that know how the C++ core of pyside works, the more people who can fix
bugs and improve it.  I plan on helping C++ developers as they dive into
the code as well as trying to document the internals.  My hope is that
we can get a few more developers involved and to the point where they
can be added as reviewers.

Further down the road (but not that far) is improving things at the C++
level and working on supporting qt5.

If you can help with any of this, please consider contributing to
pyside.  You can ask here if you have questions or on #pyside on
freenode (I would like to see the irc channel become more active).

Cheers,

John