[PySide] Install via pip fails on OS X Mavericks

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 19:54:24 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM, John Ehresman <jpe at wingware.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/14, 11:29 AM, Roman Lacko wrote:
>> If your osx fixes are allready merged in official shiboken repository at
>> gitorious and John as main maintainer and release manager agreed, we can
>> start the release process.
>>
>> John, is there any time schedule for new release ?
>
> I think we should do a release soon (maybe in the next couple of days),
> for this and for Python 3.4 support.
>
> Christian mentioned wheels -- AFAIK wheels are not yet suitable as a
> binary distribution format for extension modules on OS X or for Linux.
> I also would not assume that a binary compiled on Mavericks will work on
> earlier OS X releases.  I generally compile on the earliest OS X or
> Linux version the binaries need to run on.

OSX binary wheels should work fine, and they are getting picked up pretty fast:

https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels

I am happy to build a wheel for you if you lack a 10.6 machine, but
I've built wheels for numpy, scipy and matplotlib on Mavericks and had
no problem on 10.6.

I agree that Linux wheels are likely to be dangerous, but I haven't
tried them myself.

Cheers,

Matthew