[PySide] Install via pip fails on OS X Mavericks

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Apr 13 21:07:49 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

I have built both eggs and wheels for PySide on Mountain Lion and
Mavericks.

Using the latest XCode, I could not manage to change
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.
When changing that to something like 10.6, I always get the complaint that

distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
mismatch: now "10.6" but "10.9" during configure

So I ended up with doing all builds without setting that, once on 10.9,
and once on a virtual 10.8. But all eggs and wheels are working fine.

It is probably a bit redundant, but for sure very correct to use such
exacly built wheels.

cheers - Chris

On 13.04.14 19:54, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM, John Ehresman <jpe at wingware.com> wrote:
>> On 4/13/14, 11:29 AM, Roman Lacko wrote:
>>> If your osx fixes are allready merged in official shiboken repository at
>>> gitorious and John as main maintainer and release manager agreed, we can
>>> start the release process.
>>>
>>> John, is there any time schedule for new release ?
>> I think we should do a release soon (maybe in the next couple of days),
>> for this and for Python 3.4 support.
>>
>> Christian mentioned wheels -- AFAIK wheels are not yet suitable as a
>> binary distribution format for extension modules on OS X or for Linux.
>> I also would not assume that a binary compiled on Mavericks will work on
>> earlier OS X releases.  I generally compile on the earliest OS X or
>> Linux version the binaries need to run on.
> OSX binary wheels should work fine, and they are getting picked up pretty fast:
>
> https://github.com/MacPython/wiki/wiki/Spinning-wheels
>
> I am happy to build a wheel for you if you lack a 10.6 machine, but
> I've built wheels for numpy, scipy and matplotlib on Mavericks and had
> no problem on 10.6.
>
> I agree that Linux wheels are likely to be dangerous, but I haven't
> tried them myself.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023