[PySide] Install via pip fails on OS X Mavericks

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 23:27:51 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have built both eggs and wheels for PySide on Mountain Lion and
> Mavericks.
>
> Using the latest XCode, I could not manage to change
> MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.
> When changing that to something like 10.6, I always get the complaint that
>
> distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
> mismatch: now "10.6" but "10.9" during configure
>
> So I ended up with doing all builds without setting that, once on 10.9,
> and once on a virtual 10.8. But all eggs and wheels are working fine.
>
> It is probably a bit redundant, but for sure very correct to use such
> exacly built wheels.

The trick is to build the wheels with the Python.org python, which
declares its SDK as 10.6.

You can then rename the wheels if you want them to install on - say -
system python, etc - see the page and the PEP for details.

Here are some wheels suitable renamed so they will install into the
most common combinations of Python source / OSX version:

http://kerbin.bic.berkeley.edu/wheelhouse/

I don't know of any ABI compatibility issues - there are links in the
page I pointed to, with discussion about that, but I don't think these
worries were well founded.

Of course, the best thing is to test...

Cheers,

Matthew