[PySide] Fwd: Building bindings

Dennis Victorovich dennis.victorovich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:41:27 CET 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dennis Victorovich <dennis.victorovich at gmail.com>
Date: 2014-12-08 12:40 GMT+03:00
Subject: Re: [PySide] Building bindings
To: Otto Chiu <ochiu at teslamotors.com>

Hi,

you can find tutorials on web, just google "pyside binding generator" and
"pyside hybrid app".
We add "--enable-pyside-extensions" and on a non-windows you don't need to
use "--avoid-protected-hack"
Thats all the difference.

We've been using pyside very extensively (3 years, win32, linux x86/x64) in
our product https://www.datadvance.net/product/pseven/
We've fixed some of bugs in core of shiboken (c++ bindings generator
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-107).

Generally I think PySide is great because it allows to create flexible
bindings with almost no time cost (xml declaration --> c++ code generation).
We've automated and integrated that in build process with CMake and it
works smoothly, same on all platforms.

Two major problems:
* lack of C++ exceptions handling and translation between c++/python layers
(I've submitted 2 years ago
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/PYSIDE-62)
* lack of Qt 5.x support (requires to update all xml of Qt* libraries and
some work in a shiboken)

We have good understanding of pyside internals.
There are lots of small bugs that need to be fixed, the problem is
dedicated time and funding.