[PySide] questions about changes to Qt open-source related to pyside

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 11:23:17 CEST 2014

On 2014-10-20 19:22, John.Black at cor.gov wrote:
> I am a novice Python programmer and have been using Qt 4.8 with Pyside
> successfully for over a year.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PySide/1.2.2
>
> The way I understand it, Qt is owned by Digia which licenses Qt 5.4, but the
> open source version, Qt 4.8 has been available for free.
>
> It now appears that Digia is now offering the open source version as
> LPGL-version 3 from their corporate web-site - I'm trying to understand this
> without hiring a lawyer ;-)

Just to clear this up, all versions of Qt5 have always been available for free
under an open source license, just an earlier version of the LGPL (version 2.1,
to be precise). The recent change was just that Digia is also adding LGPLv3 as
an option. The differences between the two versions are relatively minor details.

> Can someone tell me if Pyside is going to incorporate the Qt 5.4 Community
> Version and whether it will be available on https://pypi.python.org/pypi  ?

However, PySide does not at the moment support Qt5. I think it's mostly a matter
of committing resources to porting the wrappers to the Qt5 API and supporting
both Qt4 and Qt4 simultaneously. I'm not sure if there are any technical
showstoppers, but I don't think there are any. There are certainly no legal
showstoppers. It's just a matter of some volunteer finding the time to build and
support the Qt5 wrappers.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."