[PySide] trouble with special characters in widget.setToolTip()

Sebastian Elsner | RISE sebastian at risefx.com
Wed Mar 2 10:59:38 CET 2016

Unicode is tricky, it bites me every time. This works:

########################
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import sys
from PyQt4 import QtGui

quotationMark = u'\u201c'
myText = u'special charactes cause headaches: {0}'.format(quotationMark)
print myText  # this prints the crrect special character (quotation mark)

app = QtGui.QApplication([])
w = QtGui.QWidget()
w.setToolTip(myText)  # this just ends up displaying a "å" character
w.show()
w.raise_()
sys.exit(app.exec_())
#########################

Please note, the .py file actually has to be saved/encoded as utf-8. You
need to do this via your editor's save/convert function.

On 03/02/2016 07:20 AM, Frank Rueter | OHUfx wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been reading up on unicode and character encoding a bit today and
> just when I thought I had a vague idea how it all works I ran into
> this problem:
>
> I am retrieving unicode from a website, which I need to format a
> little, then display as a widget's tooltip.
> When I print out my formatted string I get the special characters I
> expect, but when I use the same string as a tooltip, it displays a "å"
> character instead.
> Here is a screen shot of what I'm seeing:
>

> And below is a simple test that shows my problem.
> Can somebody please explain to me what is going on here and how I
> should be handle this properly?
>
> Cheers,
> frank
>
>     import sys
>     from PySide import QtGui
>
>     quotationMark = u'\u201c'
>     myText = 'special charactes cause headaches:
>     {}'.format(quotationMark.encode('utf-8'))
>     print myText # this prints the crrect special character (quotation
>     mark)
>
>     app = QtGui.QApplication([])
>     w = QtGui.QWidget()
>     w.setToolTip(myText) # this just ends up displaying a "å" character
>     w.show()
>     w.raise_()
>     sys.exit(app.exec_())
>

> --
> ohufxLogo 50x50 <http://www.ohufx.com> 	*vfx compositing
> <http://ohufx.com/index.php/vfx-compositing> | *workflow customisation
> and consulting <http://ohufx.com/index.php/vfx-customising>* *

_*check out pointcloud9.com*_ <http://pointcloud9.com/>

**Sebastian Elsner - Pipeline Technical Director - RISE*

t: +49 30 20180300 _sebastian at risefx.com _ <mailto:sebastian at risefx.com>
f: +49 30 61651074 _www.risefx.com_ <http://www.risefx.com/>*

*RISE FX GmbH*
*Schlesische Straße 28, 10997 Berlin
An der Schanz 1A, 50735 Köln
Büchsenstraße 20, 70174 Stuttgart
Gumpendorferstraße 55, 1060 Wien
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Sven Pannicke, Robert Pinnow
Handelsregister Berlin HRB 106667 B*