[PySide] Should I be able to build pyside2-5.12 from source?

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Sun Dec 15 11:16:00 CET 2019

Hello Brent,

On 12/13/19 7:56 PM, Brent Villalobos wrote:
> I followed the instructions on this page for building pyside2-5.12 from
> source:
> https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python/GettingStarted/X11
>
> Towards the end of the build, I run into this error:
> **Skiping copy tree
> /usr/pic1/work/CM-14954/pyside/build/gcc-6.3/temp/pyside-setup/pyside2_install/py2.7-qt5.12.6-64bit-release/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pyside2uic
> /usr/pic1/work/CM-14954/pyside/build/gcc-6.3/temp/pyside-setup/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.7/pyside2uic.
> Source does not exists. filter=None. ignore=None.

This should happen 5.13 on, since we replaced the
forks of uic and rcc for the original tool provided by Qt,
since it's compatible with Python via (uic -g python some_file.ui)

Can you check if the pyside-tools sub repository is also on the 5.12 branch?
With something like: git submodule update -f
or you can go to sources and do that manually.

> The last time I build pyside2 from source (5.6), it built just fine.  I
> don't see any bug tickets about "pyside2uic" issues so I think I'm doing
> something wrong.  Has anyone else encountered this build issue?  Should
> I even be attempting to build from source or is the recommended way of
> using pyside2 doing a pip install?

If you really want to build the project from source,
of course you should keep doing what you were,
but if you just want to use PySide, a pip install should be enough.

You can install specific versions doing a:

pip install pyside2==5.12.2

for example.

Let's know how it went.
Cheers